Thread: DIC warnings and ABS light problems ? I'm a little confused

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DIC warnings and ABS light problems ? I'm a little confused

I recently bought a VERY original and underserviced 03 Corvette, (It has 10.208 miles on the car, and still has the tires put on at the Bowling Green Factory) And I am getting on the DIC panel 3 messages 1. Service active handling 2. service traction control 3. Service ABS Now we're narrowed the ABS down to what we believe a faulty right front Hub bearing, Not positive, but we think that is the culprit and then the other 2 messages. Problem is the BCM and the ECM has not stored any trouble codes, I had expected to see a PO something, but there is nothing there ? So since it has a poor health battery I'm putting in a new fresh battery but the 3 DIC messages persist. Other than the RF hub, what else should I be looking at ? Without trouble codes it's like throwing darts in total darkness ?

Thank you,

Normally, if a message is coming up there should be codes stored. If there aren't how did you decide the hub is he issue? I'd also look at the wiring to the hub, if that is what the codes are showing.

Hi All, Well I got some time, and I hooked up my Ancel AD530 code reader to my 2003 C5 and despite yesterday out on the road, it reads on the DIC: 1. Service active handling 2. Service traction control 3. service ABS there are no codes set or stored ? I checked it twice and took the car to my local shop who also hooked up their code machine and again, No codes set ? How can I continue to see the messages on the DIC yet no stored codes ? Is this a case where I need to have the BCM or the PCM reflashed ? I'm stumped by this situation ?

Use the DIC to retrieve the codes.

Yes, and I looked it up, read the instructions and did a Code Search using the ECM and I found 23 different codes The PCM had no codes, the BCM had no stored codes either. But the SCM had 3 U1016, U1040 and U1096 The IPC had no stored codes The A1-rdcm had 6 codes the TCS had 2 C1233 and C1283 and RAF had 2 U1000 and U1096 and there were a few more, but all of the codes were followed by a letter H which I believe is for History, so all of these codes are way in the past. So after reading and writing down all of the codes, I hit reset to all of them. Now the person who owned this vette had VERY LITTLE interest in doing anything for this vehicle, ( I just changed the tires, they were the original Goodyear eagles F1 put on the car in 2003, the sidewall date codes indicated they were made in 2002-3 ) and the only thing I know about cars is if the battery is shot, or close to done for, then all kinds of thing can take place and all of them due to poor battery health. So I'll take the Corvette out tomorrow and see how many codes register, and then I will have fresh evidence to construct a working list of what is ailing my beautiful Convertible. Thank you !

Well after erasing all the "H" codes, we went out and within 1/2 miles the codes came back, but only 2 = 1.TCS C1233 and 2. SCM B2860 What does these two mean, and how can i fix these 2 ?

DTC C1233 RF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted As I mentioned before, check the wiring harness. You can swap with the other side, IIRC and see if the code switches sides. If so, then you know to replace the harness.

DTC B2860 Telescoping Column Position Sensor Failure Again, IIRC, try moving the control button 6 times in one direction, pause, 6 times in the opposite direction, and repeat for the other directions.

Hay, I'm don't understand the control button, move it in or out 6 times, or up or down 6 times, Not understanding you suggestion ?

Thank you,

We're still working on finding the wiring problem with our 2003 convertible and it's RF wheel speed sensor C1233 code, but it still reads out on the DCI "Service Traction Control" & "Service active handling" and the ever present ABS light, but Is / or the C1233 trouble code have anything to do with the service traction control and service active handling ???

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    We're still working on finding the wiring problem with our 2003 convertible and it's RF wheel speed sensor C1233 code, but it still reads out on the DCI "Service Traction Control" & "Service active handling" and the ever present ABS light, but Is / or the C1233 trouble code have anything to do with the service traction control and service active handling ???
    Yes, it’s all part of the ABS system which activates individual caliper hydraulic pressures to control active handling and traction control issues. The light on the dash draws your eyes to alert you there is a problem, but doesn’t always tell you what exact system is a failure.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Ok, slight change, we put in the new Timken hub and attached speed sensor, and the light still lit up, so I swapped the right side wiring harness and changed the left front to the right front and the only change was instead of lighting up after 30 feet going forward, it took about a 1/4 miles to light up ? Also, am I correct that the other issues being the DIC messages 1. Service active handling and 2. Service traction control, are they related to the ABS light/problem ?

Thread Information