Thread: Rear axle clicking noise

Default Rear axle clicking noise

I read on https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...0th-year-flair that C6s "...rear axle nuts have a tendency to loosen enough that you get a clicking noise from the rear of the vehicle,” Paul said. “It’s not a huge reliability issue but it’s something I always listen for. If you start to let the clutch out and hear a click from the rear of the vehicle, that’s usually indicative of the half shaft nuts loosening up.”

Does anyone know if this also applies to C5s?

I believe when I read about this years ago it also pertains to C5 because I bought the huge nut socket to check mine and mine were so damn tight I could not move the nut.

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by toolguy View Post
    I believe when I read about this years ago it also pertains to C5 because I bought the huge nut socket to check mine and mine were so damn tight I could not move the nut.
    Exactly what I experienced. Seemed tight but removed nut (and rust on threads), cleaned, Loctitied, torqued to 130 and noise gone.

Oh I see. Glad you got it to go away.
    I need a longer and bigger breaker bar to get mine off I suppose. I don't have any noise right now though.

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

Thread Information