Thread: Well Hell. Thanksgiving is not starting off well.

Angry Well Hell. Thanksgiving is not starting off well.

This happened yesterday on the way to work. Not sure what I hit but it was loud. Started loosing air fast and just got off the freeway in time. Still have run flats but still didn't want to run on them very far.

Even the guy at the tire store was surprised. The car is down until they get the replacement tire in next week.

Not sure what this is going to cost to fix.

And this goes most of the way around the wheel well. Paul is there anything inside the wheel well that I need to worry about???

Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Stingray Z51 w/ Magnetic Ride Control & 8-speed Automatic

Wow...im sorry this happened but glad you are ok.

I cant tell from the photo did the inner wheel well get destroyed or is that your tire?

Doesnt look like any serious red body got damaged.

I have no idea what you hit or ran over. How did you get home?

Well most important is you didnt get hurt.

Be well my friend.

I think the small amount of body damage can be fixed without painting the body panel outsode the wheel well. I dont think Id paint the entire panel for that little spot. Id just spot paint that little spot.

Of course your there in person. Im just offering an opinion.

The wheel well is going to need to be replaced. The cut extends most os the way around. Not sure what I’m going to do about the body part yet. I had the car towed home. I was about 50 miles from home and it was all freeway. Even though I still have run flats I felt it was to far to drive.

Ugh. I hit a brick in the road with my other car a few days before Thanksgiving. It ripped a chunk off the lip of the rim and blew out the sidewall of the tire. I got a refurbished rim and new tires put on the other day. Sucks.

Any C7 and I'm guessing C8 owners that are wondering if there is anything that can get damaged in the driver side rear wheel well the answer is: YES!! Luckily nothing inside the well was damaged in mine.

I'm guessing most the parts are for the A8 cooling and something that I think is the parking brake motor.

A tab on the rocker panel was also broken from whatever it was that violated my car. So far it looks like the well liner needs to be replaced and the rocker panel I'll have to get a price for a new one painted to decide on that.

I think I have the right part number for the wheel well but most online places want over $200 for shipping (some wanted over $300!!) for something that will be folded into a little box I don't think I'll be using them. If I can't find a place online for the part with reasonable shipping I'll check out the dealer I use.

Maybe you should get a dealer estimate if there is some possible transmission or other damages to see what they would charge and then determine if you want to put this through your insurance.

We are not there to see the damage so its hard to access..

Are the wheel wells glued in? Do you need to repair the slight paint that was taken off the inner part of the wheel well?

If replacing the wheel well wasnt a big job.and there was no mechanical damage ..id probably Consider some touch up paint and replacethe inner part of the wheel well. Replace the tire and call it a day...just one option to consider.

If I remember your good friend owned a body shop. Bring it by him and see what his opinion is.

Some yahoo had some crap fall off or out of a truck it sounds like..I'm sure your wife is just glad you didnt get hurt.

The more I look at the photo...id have your paint shop buddy replace the wheel well...i think it glues in? Just spot paint those two little spots one red , one black...they are really in the least innocuous places.

Of course if you are a perfectionist if it pisses you off..you can get them totally replaced ...bring it to your friend in the business. I think its too small for an insurance job and it does go on the carfax..meanwhile...a little touch up paint spray by a professional and it looks like from the photo its hidden forever.

Tough choices my friend,,,

Dang that sucks!

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

I talked to Jonathan on the phone but wanted to post in here for anyone that might see the thread.

The liner is screwed with 1 bolt and 10 or so torx screws and 1 retaining clip.

I'm not going to replace the rocker panel at this point. I didn't realize that is a very sizeable piece that is part of the door sill also. Paint matching both right after the replacement and in the future would be something of a worry. When I get the replacement tire I'm going to take it to my body guy and see what he says. Hopefully he has a few tricks that can make it look good. Since it is in the wheel well it doesn't have to be perfect. I just don't want it to stand out.

Always wonderful to shoot the breeze. Your beautiful corvette z51 with the mrc suspension is an amazing supercar!

Hapoy holidays!

Kept meaning to post a status on this. The car was fixed a few weeks ago. Looks like new and the wheel well was replaced also.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
    Kept meaning to post a status on this. The car was fixed a few weeks ago. Looks like new and the wheel well was replaced also.

Looks good.

Looks like they did a great job!

Thread Information