Thread: Sounds wacky but a video on how to lock in roof

Default Sounds wacky but a video on how to lock in roof

So yesterday I took off the roof as I have in over a quarter of a million miles but after placing roof in trunk I could not get the roof to click or lock in place.

Somehow I don't believe I'll be the only one with such a weird experience..

Maybe a video on youtube would come in handy..

I saw one from a Canadian dealer while I was trying to figure it out but it didn't help.

I didn't want a Murphys law moment so I threw the roof back on the car.

Any insight on tips to lock roof in trunk via a post in this thread would be appreciated..

I think it would be a more forceful push into place would be what's needed.

Just wanted to ask before I forced the roof and broker a little piece etc.

HI Jon,

The panel requires a good amount of force once the rear of the panel is lowered in first and place in the retainers

The upper latches require a strong palm at both locations to correctly latch it down.

You will hear a strong SNAP. Then try to pull the panel rearward and it shouldnt move.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

I hear what you are saying yet the top part of the leading edge of the roof looks a little too high.

What would be the position of the rear latch when sitting in the well?

Im concerned my forced push once in place maybe a little off could damage the roof so Im treading slowly..

Last night I was in a little bit of a rush so Ill try again in the near future.

Yeah, its tough to correctly seat the rear feet in the position cups.

I will try to get a video together.

Paul

Paul...there is no rush although I dont think Ill be the only new owner who doesnt want to force anything.

With the cooler weather there is no rush and maybe Ill come up one day and you can make the video from that day.

The cars fabulous and of course I want you my favorite world class tech to do all my service on this fun new daily driver.

I doubt I have the valve spring thing especially that Im over 750 miles but when the time comes for a seat belt or other recalls etc that need attention ..your my favorite guy and we have fun shooting the breeze.

The corvette team in bowling green really have outdone themselves. While I loved my previous corvettes this one astounds me.

Anyone on the fence...or not sure...my suggestion is go for it. I couldnt be more pleased.

I followed Robs moves with a corvette z51 fe4 (mrc) 1LT...

I have a new one coming in Monday for a customer, I will do a video this week.

Allthebest, Paul

I recommend the video as today at a car show in NY it was a beautiful day. Somewhere along the line this conversation came up and an owner of a 2019 c7 suggested we put the roof in the trunk to see if we could get it to lock. Both he and I first time out had difficultly to lock the roof in the trunk.

Finally as the other gentleman who also has many years of corvette ownership couldnt figure out what was wrong as to why it wouldnt simply lock in place.

We made sure the lower roof pins were in the correct place...and then when sure..i pretty much gave it a good shove. It clicked in place. He did his side of the roof and then both sides clicked in place.

Im pretty sure if you video exactly where hose rear pins go..etc...corvette owners will have more confidence to push a bit more than we ever needed to do woth the c5, c6 and c7 to hear the click and lock the roof in place..

Sounds silly yet its a very different experience first time locking that roof in the trunk and getting a click..

With previous generations I never gave it a thought before...

I believe you will be doing a great service for all corvette c8 targa owners who want to put the trunk in their corvettes with your fine video.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JB; 10-03-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Thread Information