Thread: Rear Bump Stop

Default Rear Bump Stop

I have had a metal to metal sound on bumps, coming from the left rear.Pulled the real wheels of today and the left bump stop is almost non existant. Only the bolt going through the end of the spring and there is about an inch gap between the bottom of the stop and the a-arm where the stop sits on the swing arm. The other one looks fine. No clue what happened to it. One of my question is will that make the bump-bang metal sound on bumps? My other is will it make it sit lower on that side. The left side sits 1 1/2" lower than the right side. The end of the left spring sits about 1" lower than the one on the right side.

*I also would like to buy one if you have one that maybe you removed when you installed a lowering kit.

HI there,

I have seen this happen a lot with aftermarket lowering kits.

Unfortunately, GM does not make the bolts available separately and in order to get just the bolts, you would have to purchase aftermarket lowering bolts.

The ride height will be affected and the lowering bolts CAN be adjusted to determine correct ride height if you chose.

And a full 4 wheel alignment should be done afterwards.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

Thanks, Paul. I was hoping to find someone that has installed a lowering kit and kept the oem ones. I called one of the makers of bump stops and he said they could not get them because GM still has the patent and will not approve the remaking of them yet. Hence, you get to buy the entire spring assembly for each side just to get the adjustment bolt. The local chevy dealers wants $545 plus tax for each side. I am trying to find a work around for now. Can the ones from the lowering kits that are available be adjusted to the oem heights? I am concerned that they will be harsh when they bottom out because they do not have the cushioning the oem have. Any thoughts on this appreciated. dm
    Last edited by dmad1; 11-03-2019 at 10:40 AM.

HI there,

Yes, I have installed aftermarket bolts and adjusted them to OEM ride heights.

It takes time and I install the bolts with 242 Blue medium strength Loctite to assure they do not loosen and move.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

Thread Information