Thread: ECM Replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ECM Replacement

2005 Corvette Convertible, 42,000 miles needed an ECM Replacement. The dealership let it sit for weeks and did nothing. I ordered a remanufactured ECM and replaced it myself. The ECM was programmed with my VIN #. The car seems to be running fine now. I just took a 1,000 mile trip with no problems. Today I thought I would use my handy dandy OBD11 scanner to make sure I did not have any codes. It has a stored P0315 code for crankshaft positioning system. No check engine light. I assume since it's stored, it is not active. Should I take it to another dealer and have them reset it? Advise appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdavis0415 View Post
    2005 Corvette Convertible, 42,000 miles needed an ECM Replacement. The dealership let it sit for weeks and did nothing. I ordered a remanufactured ECM and replaced it myself. The ECM was programmed with my VIN #. The car seems to be running fine now. I just took a 1,000 mile trip with no problems. Today I thought I would use my handy dandy OBD11 scanner to make sure I did not have any codes. It has a stored P0315 code for crankshaft positioning system. No check engine light. I assume since it's stored, it is not active. Should I take it to another dealer and have them reset it? Advise appreciated. Thanks
    Why take it to the dealer for a reset??? Do it yourself if you have the scanner... most of them have that function!
    Making something idiotproof only serves to breed a better grade of idiot.

HI there,

P0315 can also be due to an intermittent failure.

I do agree, a crankshaft variation relearn is important for accurate misfire diagnostics inside the ECM.

I would definitely do that. I AM VERY surprised that the light wasn't turned on. This may be due to the calibration issue with the replacement ECM.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

Thread Information