Thread: 1979 vette carb question

Default 1979 vette carb question

Iím looking to replace the carb on my 79 vette apparently someone decided to change out my original one for one from a truck and could never get it to run correctly, where can I find a carb that will work for my car even if I have to rebuild it. I donít know what the original carb number was that came with the car, the carb that is on it right now is the Rochester 17056208.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which engine/transmission is in your car now?

According to this site: http://corvettec3.ca/carb.htm The right carb, depending on which engine you have, would have a 9 where the 6 is in the one on your car. The one you have now is probably from a 76 Camaro or Chevy truck from what I can find online.

One site I read mentioned that if the Fast Idle, which is set with the carb off the engine, isn't set right, you're likely not going to get it to run well.

The car has the L-82 350 w/ manual 4 speed trans, yea since the carb was ďrebuiltĒ I could never get it to idle correctly I would have to hold the gas until it would warm up a little to idle but would run rough, I adjusted the needle to the point were it would run without holding the gas but the idle would go crazy that way, thatís when I found out that it didnít have the right carb on it anymore because it was running fine before the ďrebuildĒ and ran like crap after

HI there,

It doesn't sound like an issue with the needle to jet interaction. It sounds more to me like there is an internal leak or the passage is blocked with debris.

Especially if it is ONLY at idle and everywhere else in the RPM range, it is fine.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

I donít think that was the issue, I was told the carb I had is too small CFM wise, the one put on my car is a 450 CFM and the one required for my care is a 750-800 CFM carb. I found a 17059228 Rochester for my car and am wondering if I can use that one, the one that is supposed to be on my car is a Rochester 17059211, they r both the same CFM wise but the 9228 is for an auto vette and the 9211 is for the manual

Thread Information