Thread: The similarities between the C8 and the new NSX.

Default The similarities between the C8 and the new NSX.

Unless someone has been living under a rock, Iím sure we all know that a new NSX came out three years ago. Iíve been through all the training, both on the sales end and the service end of things. Iíve toured the assembly plant and seen the build process firsthand. Part of the training, we all learned that it would be like no car that Honda has ever built. Very different design and construction techniques compared to a Honda Accord, Acura MDX, or even the old NSX. They were talking about an aluminum space frame with a central backbone tunnel, comprised of stamped, extruded, an even ablation (sand tempered) cast sections. Magnesium subframe elements. Bolt on body of a variety of materials. This is all very new and will require very special techniques to repair the vehicle.

New? Ha. Sounded like a Corvette to me!

Now we have a mid engine Corvette coming. Some of the elements of the frame look like it has some large cast sections where the suspension mounts to it...just like the new NSX. Weíve got a tall central tunnel that obviously doesnít house a propeller shaft or exhaust system...just like the new NSX. Got a deep composite trunk box behind the engine...jus...OK thatís actually just like the Fiero I had 25 years ago.

So Iím pretty sure itís a safe speculation that the more or less unused center tunnel will eventually be used for an electronics package for hybrid operation. And the ďfrunkĒ will drastically shrink or completely go away to make room for electric motors up front. When this new hybrid Corvette shows up in 2-3 years, the similarity to the NSX will be even more so.

However, after 3 years of production, Honda has sold less NSXs than GM sold of ZR1s with just one year of production. Where did Honda miss? Starting MSRP of ~$160k with the average car priced around $180k with the popular options wasnít good. Still cheaper than the other ďsupercarĒ competition. But those other cars win the all important ego stroking competition of having more horsepower and/or someone like The Stig can lap it faster around a track than the NSX. The majority of people interested in the NSX would rather not have all the hybrid gear and just have a lighter more raw RWD car.

Well. That car exists. It costs over half a million dollars and isnít street legal. The GT3 race car version of the NSX is exactly that. Too bad Acura wonít do a road car of it.

Just 5 hours away from where they build the NSX, theyíll be rolling out the Chevy version soon enough. We got the 500hp (the NSXís power without the electric assist) RWD mid engine car after all. Just came from GM. For a lot less money. But that AWD hybrid Corvette will be along soon enough. Hopefully GM sees where Honda dropped the ball, and they execute their car much better. With a rumored number of close to 1000 total horsepower (just like Ferrariís new SF90), thatís an awful good starting point.
    2016 Acura/ASE Master Technician of the Year
    Acura Dealership Shop Foreman/Master Technician
    Diagnostic Consultant to American Honda Motor Co.
    Former GM Master Technician
    NCM Lifetime Member

Hey Rob,

That is definitely one of the things that has really blown me away about Corvette. Just like you, I worked for Aston Martin when I took a break from GM. It was so different, interesting and how they perceived automotive vehicles was so different.

I am certain that Corvette engineering and the focus they have to bring a vehicle that is capable and a true sports car will hold true to the heritage that it has.

The cost point blew me away and I am certain that once it is proven, it will continue to rank as a very capable vehicle.

I will know much more when I see it in August at Carlisle.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

Concerning the NSX, I don't think that buyers are willing to pay that kind of money for a V6 power plant either, they want the sound and feel of a V8. I know I do.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Concerning the NSX, I don't think that buyers are willing to pay that kind of money for a V6 power plant either, they want the sound and feel of a V8. I know I do.
    Well the original NSX was a V6. So perhaps that’s why they stayed with one. Honda’s existing J series V6 was originally slated to go in it as a transverse layout. But then someone wisely decided that 400-425hp just wasn’t going to cut it in the segment. So Honda, the world’s largest engine manufacturer, had to buy one in. Not a lot of people know this, but the twin turbo V6 is actually a Cosworth engine.

Toyota has also seemingly fallen into the same boat. In the attempt to keep tradition going of having an in-line six in the Supra, Toyota got in bed with BMW (to share development costs no doubt). The new BMW Z4 is what it is and is just kinda there. The new Supra on the other hand is getting a lot more conversations being had about it...and they’re not good. Many people are not thrilled that there’s BMW all over that car. Personally, I think they should’ve developed the car by themselves and used the 5.0 V8 the some of the Lexus cars use. That would’ve kept the Supra fans happier I bet.

Ah but Honda doesn’t have a V8 to use. They really had no engine to use at all. They wanted to bring back the car, just didn’t know what to put under the hood. Could’ve had Cosworth make them a V8. But the whole hybrid thing was a sticking point, as it would spawn other hybrid vehicles based on its systems.

The NSX is priced pretty competitive with its direct competition like the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 Turbo. If it were my money though, I’d have a hard time passing up the Audi because you get a screaming Lamborghini V10 behind your ears.
    NCM Lifetime Member

Honda is the Motor Company and their engines are damn near perfect, but the sound of a 6 cylinder in a sports car to my ear is not pleasant. I always thought that the only thing missing in the S2000 was a V-8, but thatís just me. I think Toyota screwed the pooch with the Supra too, if your going to pay the price of service and repairs for a BMW, just buy one.

The sound of an Audi V-10 is cool too.....

Don’t get me wrong, the new NSX is super fast. And it’s remarkably easy to drive it hard. But a V6 breathing through turbos is not the greatest sound. Which is the reason the new Ford Raptor just doesn’t inspire me very much despite the fact that it looks awesome and is actually very capable.
    NCM Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobSJ View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, the new NSX is super fast. And it’s remarkably easy to drive it hard. But a V6 breathing through turbos is not the greatest sound. Which is the reason the new Ford Raptor just doesn’t inspire me very much despite the fact that it looks awesome and is actually very capable.

Or the Ford GT that is cool looking but has a V-6 at 400-500K. No thanks.

The Raptor and the F150 with the "ECO" V-6's get less MPG than the V-8's in real world driving. Nice.

In my opinion, the V8 is slowly going away and we will see more V6 twin turbos and 4 cly turbos. Look at the power the Alpha Romeo Giulia and Stelvio Quadrofoglio make. I love driving those vehicles!
    When the Viper comes back, I bet it's not a V8. I know it won't be a V10 for sure though.

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe - K&N CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Borla exhaust, Z06 sway bars, Z06 intake, C6 Z06 shifter, stainless steel brake lines, Z06 shocks, Borla X pipe, larger and polished throttle body and MAF housing, drilled/slotted rotors. Projector headlamps and full LED rear lights.

Thread Information