Thread: Only have half my brake lights

Default Only have half my brake lights

The right rear pair of brake lights on my 2000 coupe wonít light up when the brakes are applied.
    It works for the turn signal and the parking lights, but not for the brakes or the hazard lights
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

I vaguely recall someone else posting something similar. IIRC, it was either some of the wiring had chafed through or a bad ground on that side. I haven't found that post, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
    I vaguely recall someone else posting something similar. IIRC, it was either some of the wiring had chafed through or a bad ground on that side. I haven't found that post, yet.
    Thanks
    Iím thinking the same thing, but I canít find anything obvious at this point

Well, I haven't found the post I'm thinking of. I wonder if it was on the old CorvetteMechanic forum that we lost. But, I found this one that suggests it may be the turn signal stalk.
    https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-switch-2.html

Excellent suggestion worth checking out
    I’m going to double check the wire harness one last time
    Thanks.

The stop lights run through the turn signal switch or hazard switch, I haven't checked my ETM yet to be sure, but my guess is hazard switch. When the turn signal and 4 way switch were integrated under the steering wheel it was a bad turn signal switch, since C5 is segregated more diagnosis is needed. Try cycling the 4 way switch off an on fast multiple times to try and clean a contact and see if they work, use the brake lights and slowly use the turn signal switch to the right and see if they come on. Good luck with it.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Great suggestions. I’m just confused as to why only one side is affected. Last time I changed the hazard switch it was because neither side turn signals would work. And just like your suggestion cycling the hazard switch cleaned things up for a while.
    I think I just may have to replace the hazard switch again. It’s only been 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    The stop lights run through the turn signal switch or hazard switch, I haven't checked my ETM yet to be sure, but my guess is hazard switch. When the turn signal and 4 way switch were integrated under the steering wheel it was a bad turn signal switch, since C5 is segregated more diagnosis is needed. Try cycling the 4 way switch off an on fast multiple times to try and clean a contact and see if they work, use the brake lights and slowly use the turn signal switch to the right and see if they come on. Good luck with it.
    no luck, but looking at thr schematic power to both the right and left side brake lights come from the hazard switch, so I think you guys are right. I’ll pick up a switch and post the results.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C5jim View Post
    no luck, but looking at thr schematic power to both the right and left side brake lights come from the hazard switch, so I think you guys are right. Iíll pick up a switch and post the results.
    Thanks
    Update- I changed the hazard switch and the 2 right rear brakes still donít come on when the brake is applied. Iíll keep troubleshooting

I'd look at the turn signal stalk, then.

That’s where I’m headed next

Update

Problem solved - it was the turn signal switch.
    The job took 2hours to complete and the part cost $210 through cheapest GM parts.com

Thanks to all for your guidance

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you were able to solve the problem!

Thread Information