Thread: Courtesy lights failure

Default Courtesy lights failure

I have a 2000 hard top. I found an unused, small two-wire female electrical connector in the trunk behind the carpet on the passenger side quarter panel. It has small orange and black wires leading into it. I wanted to install some LED lights back there and thought that this connector might be a good source of power for that. I wanted to see if it was hot so I got my mutimeter out and while attempting to put the probes into the connector momentarily crossed them. Unfortunately, I found that it was hot by seeing a small spark. I thought that I might have blown a fuse so I went to the inside electrical center. When I opened the door I noticed that the courtesy lights now did not work. I checked every fuse in both electrical centers but they are all intact. The diagram on the cover shows micro relay 42 marked ad "CTSY LP" which I assume means courtesy lamp. Is it possible that I killed that relay? What else could be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by redtop View Post
    I have a 2000 hard top. I found an unused, small two-wire female electrical connector in the trunk behind the carpet on the passenger side quarter panel. It has small orange and black wires leading into it. I wanted to install some LED lights back there and thought that this connector might be a good source of power for that. I wanted to see if it was hot so I got my mutimeter out and while attempting to put the probes into the connector momentarily crossed them. Unfortunately, I found that it was hot by seeing a small spark. I thought that I might have blown a fuse so I went to the inside electrical center. When I opened the door I noticed that the courtesy lights now did not work. I checked every fuse in both electrical centers but they are all intact. The diagram on the cover shows micro relay 42 marked ad "CTSY LP" which I assume means courtesy lamp. Is it possible that I killed that relay? What else could be the problem?

You should have just popped a fuse. Use a test light to check every fuse in both fuse boxes, it is very hard to impossible to visually see a bad fuse when removed.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    You should have just popped a fuse. Use a test light to check every fuse in both fuse boxes, it is very hard to impossible to visually see a bad fuse when removed.
    OK, thanks. I'll try that.

All of the fuses checked out. There is no fuse labeled "courtesy lights" but there is a relay. I pulled it and tested it. If functioned and I found continuity through it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

All of the fuses checked out. There is no fuse labeled "courtesy lights" but there is a relay. I pulled it and tested it. If functioned and I found continuity through it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You checked all the fuses (with the ignition on, engine off) under the hood and under the passenger side interior firewall with a test light and all the fuses had power on both side of the fuse pins?

Yes...and no. I did it twice as you mentioned and got the same result, using a multimeter to check continuity. After the second time, I bought a test light and tried it again, on both ends of the fuses. When I got insie to fuse 29 "C/LALDL", the first side showed voltage but the other didn't. I swapped it out and the lights came back on. I'm curious what the C/LALDL means, though. At any rate, obviously, you were right the first time. Thanks so much!

Yes...and no. I did it twice as you mentioned and got the same result, using a multimeter to check continuity. After the second time, I bought a test light and tried it again, on both ends of the fuses. When I got insie to fuse 29 "C/LALDL", the first side showed voltage but the other didn't. I swapped it out and the lights came back on. I'm curious what the C/LALDL means, though. At any rate, obviously, you were right the first time. Thanks so much!

Yeah, it's hard to tell if a fuse is good without powering it up and testing it with a test light. C/LALDL I believe is supposed to refer to Courtesy Light Assembly Line Data Link, as there is fused power to the ALDL under the dash.

Thread Information