Thread: Good relative inexpensive battery maintainers for c4/c5 vettes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Good relative inexpensive battery maintainers for c4/c5 vettes

I BELONG TO THE "EASTTEXAS CORVETTE ASSOC. OF TYLER,TX.I'VE WORKED ON C4's OVER 25 YR's + & PRESENTLY CUTTING MY TEETH ON C5's.PRESENTLY,3 OF OUR MEMBERS WITH C4's USING THE CEN-TECH 10/2/50 AMP 12V+ BATTERY CHARGER/STARTER IS EXPERIENCING DEAD BATTERIES AFTER ABOUT 4-6 MONTHS.THESE CAR'S ARE CONNECTED TO THIS CHARGER FROM 1-3 Wks AT-A-TIME SET TO THE 2 AMP CHARGE RATING. WOULD IT BE SAFE TO SAY THIS CHARGER IS CAUSING THE DEAD BATTERIES? ALSO DO U HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR A RELATIVE INEXPENSIVE BATTERY MAINTAINER? HELP!!!

Red face Battery Thoughts

First of all only use AC Delco batterys they have proven to be the best! That Harbor Freight charger only floats the battery . It is not a charger. If you start of with parasite draining how can you maintain a 12.50 charge. ( Thats a 100% charge) . If the battery reads 12.25 thats half a charge. When you
    buy a new battery watch the date of the battery, they discharge as they age. Now if you have that full charge buy a Brand name maintainer from Napa they have Battery maintainer. Once again you only get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by HUEY View Post
    I BELONG TO THE "EASTTEXAS CORVETTE ASSOC. OF TYLER,TX.I'VE WORKED ON C4's OVER 25 YR's + & PRESENTLY CUTTING MY TEETH ON C5's.PRESENTLY,3 OF OUR MEMBERS WITH C4's USING THE CEN-TECH 10/2/50 AMP 12V+ BATTERY CHARGER/STARTER IS EXPERIENCING DEAD BATTERIES AFTER ABOUT 4-6 MONTHS.THESE CAR'S ARE CONNECTED TO THIS CHARGER FROM 1-3 Wks AT-A-TIME SET TO THE 2 AMP CHARGE RATING. WOULD IT BE SAFE TO SAY THIS CHARGER IS CAUSING THE DEAD BATTERIES? ALSO DO U HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR A RELATIVE INEXPENSIVE BATTERY MAINTAINER? HELP!!!

If the charger you are referring to is NOT a float type charger and is indeed constantly throwing 2 amps at your battery, then yes you could damage the battery if left unattended. Never leave a battery charger unattended unless it is a float or maintainer type of charger. Get a quality float/maintainer style charger if you are going to leave it hooked up for days/weeks at a time, buy a brand name unit, you don't want to boil the battery and damage the battery or surrounding areas.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

THANKS ALL FOR UR COMMENTS,WE ALL LEARN SOMTHING A-NEW EVERY WAKENING DAY.AS FOR ME I'VE USING THE "BATTERY TENDER" PLUS FOR SOME YRs. SO FAR SO GOOD,THANS A-MIL,GE.:

Quote Originally Posted by HUEY View Post
    THANKS ALL FOR UR COMMENTS,WE ALL LEARN SOMTHING A-NEW EVERY WAKENING DAY.AS FOR ME I'VE USING THE "BATTERY TENDER" PLUS FOR SOME YRs. SO FAR SO GOOD,THANS A-MIL,GE.:
    Me too.
    Never had a problem with it or my battery.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thread Information