Thread: using old lifters

Default using old lifters

can used lifters be reused on different engine. They say you can change cam and use current lifters but not old lifters and new cam. What is the difference?

lurk
    2013 Zo6

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16,'17 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

I find this hard to believe. They say if you put a new cam with the old lifters no problem. You still have old surface with new surface.

Quote Originally Posted by ken mohr View Post
    can used lifters be reused on different engine. They say you can change cam and use current lifters but not old lifters and new cam. What is the difference?

Of course you can, but why? Save a few dollars? Not here. Wear patterns have been set in both the lifter and cam lobes, especially with flat tappets, rollers still do the same but to a lesser degree. If you remove the lifters for repairs and want to use all the old parts make sure that all the lifters, push rods, rockers go back on in the exact same order that they came off.

I think your second sentence says the same thing twice, or I just read it wrong.....
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Of course you can, but why? Save a few dollars? Not here. Wear patterns have been set in both the lifter and cam lobes, especially with flat tappets, rollers still do the same but to a lesser degree. If you remove the lifters for repairs and want to use all the old parts make sure that all the lifters, push rods, rockers go back on in the exact same order that they came off.

I think your second sentence says the same thing twice, or I just read it wrong.....
    It does say the same thing twice. We were talking about puting the old lifters in a different engine. The conversation was thet was wrong and would wipe out the cam but if you put the new cam in your engine with the old lifters there was no problems. I found that very confusing. Your answer makes sense.

Thank you
    Ken

Always change flat tappet cam and lifters together. They wear in together and once they become mated, cannot be used any other way. Rollers are different. Guys reuse roller lifters all the time.

Thread Information