Thread: TPMS problem

Default TPMS problem

I bought the C5 with one TPMS missing and the dash displayed a check TPMS system message and the tire with the missing TPMS read LXXX whereas all the other tire pressures read correctly. I purchased a new TPMS made by Orange-electronic.com. model OEC1014 and had it installed by a tire shop with the proper GM scan tools. I watch as the tech but the car in learn mode and then went to the first tire with the tool and the horn honked as it should. When he got to the tire with the new TPMS, the car would not respond (honk). He tried the whole procedure a few times and then decided I had given him a defective TPMS. On the drive home from the shop, I noticed all the tire pressure were reading correctly. I then lowered the pressure on the tire with the new TPMS and raised the other tires. The dash display still showed the old pressures until I drove about 100 miles and then I got the check TPMS message and now all tire pressures are reading as XXX. Does anybody have a clue on what is going on here?
    2004 C5

2 things that come to mind...either it's a defective TPMS or it strictly works on pressure and not an electronic signal like the OEM Units.
    If it does turn out to be a defective unit i'd return it and get a Schrader TPMS...They are the manufacturer for OEM sensors and a lot cheaper,

What year is your C5 ?

SGLou,

Thanks for the reply. It is a 2004 C5. I did have the seller of the TPMS send me a new one and I was going to see if I can get it to program before I even have it installed in the tire. If that doesn't work, I'll check into the schrader option. What really has me stumped is why none of the sensors are working now. I went from just one missing, to all reading but not updating, to now the whole TPMS system is broke.
    2004 C5

Dave, Pull the codes via the DIC and let us know what you have. It could shed some light on the subject.
    These are the TPMS Codes:Tire Pressure Sensor Circuit, DTC C0750, C0755, C0760, or C0765

http://www.corvetteweb.com/c5codes.html

BTW; I have an 04 as well. When I replaced the tires and wheels I also replaced all 4 TPMS with Schrader units....

http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-SB-20117.html
    Last edited by SG Lou; 10-04-2014 at 09:37 AM.

SG Lou,
    I don't have any C0750 thru C0765 codes, but I do have RFA C2100, 2105, 2110, & 2115. I googled these and they are TPMS malfunctions for each wheel. Seems real odd that adding that new sensor would cause the other three to malfunction. I have the new sensor in the box. Any thoughts about if a get a magnet, put the car in learning mode and then use the magnet on each of the three original sensors and learn the one in the box rather than the new one in the tire. If that works, I can then get the new sensor switched.
    2004 C5

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Dave View Post
    SG Lou,
    I don't have any C0750 thru C0765 codes, but I do have RFA C2100, 2105, 2110, & 2115. I googled these and they are TPMS malfunctions for each wheel. Seems real odd that adding that new sensor would cause the other three to malfunction. I have the new sensor in the box. Any thoughts about if a get a magnet, put the car in learning mode and then use the magnet on each of the three original sensors and learn the one in the box rather than the new one in the tire. If that works, I can then get the new sensor switched.
    Worth a shot brother....Got nothing to loose and everything to gain !
    Let us know how you made out.

I finally got a 65 pound force magnet. I put the car in learning mode. Put the magnet on the left Front valve and the horn honked, same with the RF which was the tire with the after market sensor, The RR, all went well. Got to the LR and couldn't get the horn to honk. So I turned the key off and then on and did all the button pushing to get it in learning mode again, but can't get any of the sensors to get learned and cause the horn to beep. Even tried the new sensor in the box. What am I missing here? Is there some way I can reboot the whole TPMS system? BTW, the FOB has always worked without a problem.
    2004 C5

Thread Information