Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Main Seal and Clutch replacement. What else should be done while in there?

Default Rear Main Seal and Clutch replacement. What else should be done while in there?

Hi, I have a 2001' 6speed with @130k miles. It has developed a pretty good leak and after pulling the 2 covers by the flywheel discovered the leak was coming from in there. So the rear main seal is leaking and I am going to have it replaced along with the clutch.
    The labor for the rear main is 10hrs and overlaps the labor for clutch so it just seems right to put on a new one.

My question to you guys that know about what all is down there in the belly of this beast is what else should I have replaced while I am in there?
    I don't have much extra cash but I don't want to throw myself in front of on coming traffic later because I didn't do something while in there.

Any advice on this is well appreciated.

Currently the list is:
    Rear Main Seal
    Clutch
    Fly Wheel
    Throw out bearing
    Pilot bearing
    Seal Plate (I think that's what they called it)

Anyone who is in Phoenix area that has a shop recommendation is GREATLY appreciated as well!!!

HI there,

Someone better make sure that either the oil pan gasket or the main cap side bolts is not the actual culprit.

Truth is that many people will misdiagnose if oil dye is not used and correct parts used and torqued accurately.

A full visual inspection, including all over that engine should be evaluated.

Also, if that rear main seal housing is not ALIGNED correctly to the crankshaft, you can have a repeat oil leak.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

Paul,

The main cap side bolts, where are they? Easy to get to? Can you post a pic?

I'd like to check mine.

Thanks,

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

I think there is already a schematic posted, try search the forum??

I could be wrong, maybe the "old" forum.
    2013 Zo6

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16,'17 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

They are on side of the block, just above the pan mating surface. Bolted into the sides
    thru the block into each main cap.

side pan bolt.jpg

Dennis "Fix" Fixsen dba FixVet Detailing Services, Clever, MO
    1998 Black over Torch Red Coupe, A4, F45, 3.15 rear, HP Tune, CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 TI Catbacks, drilled/slotted rotors....VFW Life Member, VN Vet 70-71, 4thINF & 101stABN

I agree with Paul, make triple sure you HAVE found the leak. Having said that mine WAS the front engine cover.

Second thing is make sure the guy doing the work follows correct procedure, my guy botched it & then had to do it over and then his work came apart (balancer came off) about a year later and I had to do that over myself. Sheesh!

Good luck. I used dye to find mine. But don't drive it too far or the dye goes all over the place.
    2013 Zo6

Thanks to all who have given input.

A friend (much better mechanic than myself) and I searched all around the engine for signs of the oil. I had thought it was the oil pressure sensor in the back by the firewall but with the help of his (cam on a stick)was able to rule that out as it was clean and dry. Prior to this I had never seen a drop on or around the engine. We lifted it up and sure enough there was a lot on the bottom of the oil pan so we cleaned it up and turned it onto watch. There is some coming from the oil pan gasket but did not explain the quantity. He pulled the 2 inspection covers off and could see into where the fly wheel is and a lot of oil in there. Is there something else in there that would leak?

You guys have mentioned about finding someone who will follow procedures and another about using a torque wrench. I have had bad experience with GM and not following torque specs that (long story short) damaged my car and had to go head to head with the service manager. (that story was on the old site and I remember Paul contributing helpful advice)

I am at this point going with a shop that has been around a long time and specializes on high end sports cars as well as has a 24month/24k miles warranty. They are quoting 2k k parts and labor with all GM parts. I don't really mod this car as I love it just the way I got it!

Honestly this repair scares me to death to think of how much could go wrong if the tech is in a hurry or under pressure etc...

Thanks again to everyone!

How do you know without standing over their shoulder if they will apply their best to your car?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixvet View Post
    They are on side of the block, just above the pan mating surface. Bolted into the sides
    thru the block into each main cap.

side pan bolt.jpg
    OK great thanks! I've not seen these before but I need to find them and get familiar with them. It's time to at least check them.

Looks like in the pic someone is sealing these up then too?
    Last edited by toolguy; 01-15-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Has the shop that quoted you 2k inspected the car?? I don't get that. Most shops won't "take your word for it" as to what is wrong.

Did you do a full clean up & put dye in yet?

2013 Zo6

Quote Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
    Has the shop that quoted you 2k inspected the car?? I don't get that. Most shops won't "take your word for it" as to what is wrong.

Did you do a full clean up & put dye in yet?

I wasn't feeling completely comfortable with that shop after reading your reply and have done a ton of searching of the corvette club forums for my area. I found a shop who,once I spoke with them, brought up every point mentioned by all of you guys. Thanks for your help. Am going in next wed to have them figure out where the leak is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    I wasn't feeling completely comfortable with that shop after reading your reply and have done a ton of searching of the corvette club forums for my area. I found a shop who,once I spoke with them, brought up every point mentioned by all of you guys. Thanks for your help. Am going in next wed to have them figure out where the leak is for sure.
    Good job!

Please post back what is found and fixed. Some of us other 6-speed guys are interested!

I will do that.

Took it to the shop today and he cleaned all the oil up real good then added dye to verify the actual leak.
    Turns out it was the Rear Cover Gasket and also a leaking oil temp sensor.

Replacing the
    LS Rear Cover assy' (includes gasket and seal)
    C5 Pilot Bearing.
    LS Oil temp sensor.
    C5 Slave cylinder.
    Remote slave cylinder bleeder line.
    LS7 Clutch kit.
    Change transmission fluid.
    Change differential oil and repair leaking seal.

Billing 9.4hrs labor and is giving me a 24/24 warranty.
    Seems like a pretty good shop with a ton of experience on Corvettes specifically as well as others. And from the looks of the vehicles other people are trusting him with, I am feeling pretty optimistic.

Thanks to all of you for all of your advice.
    This site really makes a big difference to those of us who do not have the mechanical background but still have the love for our cars.

Will update again once I get my car back this weekend.

Glad your shop seems trusted and did not steer you wrong right off the bat!
    Last edited by toolguy; 02-01-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Ok, I got my car back from the shop a few days ago. No engine oil seen under the car. Seems like they took good care of my car and were thorough. They even fixed my uneven exhaust tips that drove me crazy for years while they were at it (no charge).

The LS7 Clutch is going to take some getting used to. I thought it was supposed to feel exactly the same but I have to have my foot against the floor now. They tell me that's the way this clutch is. Others tell me its just new and will work its way back as the clutch wears down. And yet someone else told me it needs to be bled more. I guess I will see if they will give the bleeding thing a try. Sure would be nice if there was an adjustment for it. As it is this is going to be pretty tiresome on my leg driving in traffic.

Thanks everyone for your input. I said it before and will say it again, this site is the greatest!

Thread Information