Thread: C5 Engine Coolant

Question C5 Engine Coolant

Hi! I have a 2004 C5 that I bought in 2010. I'm sure it has never had the engine coolant changed. I want to get it flushed and refilled. I have asked a local auto service place and they don't use Dex-Cool. They say they haven't used it in GM vehicles for quite awhile. Went to my local Chevy dealer, yes they use Dex-Cool but "GM" doesn't recommend flushing system, just a drain and refill. So the questions are : Still use Dex-Cool (that's what is in it) and no need to flush system, just drain and refill?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuckNEO View Post
    Hi! I have a 2004 C5 that I bought in 2010. I'm sure it has never had the engine coolant changed. I want to get it flushed and refilled. I have asked a local auto service place and they don't use Dex-Cool. They say they haven't used it in GM vehicles for quite awhile. Went to my local Chevy dealer, yes they use Dex-Cool but "GM" doesn't recommend flushing system, just a drain and refill. So the questions are : Still use Dex-Cool (that's what is in it) and no need to flush system, just drain and refill?

Drain and fill with Dex-Cool, correct. Good luck with it.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Drain and fill with Dex-Cool, correct. Good luck with it.
    I agree, flush introduces some strong chemicals. I just dump the radiator & refill on all my cars. Check the % solution for your preference of boil/freeze protection & adj as needed.

If it were mine I'd be putting some new hoses under the hood unless sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for a flatbed is your idea of a good time.

If you want to really get crazy change the stat (they get lazy) and rad cap.
    Last edited by froggy47; 09-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    2013 Zo6

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16,'17 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

Sounds good. I was planning on having the hoses replaced. Drain and refill with Dex-Cool is it. Thanks!

Two weeks ago I drained and refilled w/DexCool on my '98......inc. new rad hoses, thermostat. The old coolant was still pretty clear and not "sludgie". My GM manual says the system is 12.5qts....I think....and I used 6 qts of new DexCool with distilled water only.

Good luck!

Thread Information