Thread: Everyone is Stumped by New Auto Thefts

Default Everyone is Stumped by New Auto Thefts

I saw this article today and did a little research through some of my channels and it is disturbing. Here is the article: http://www.today.com/news/police-adm...fts-6C10169993

The scary thing is that no one has been able to figure our how this is being done. While the actual car is not being stolen, most of us have a lot of stuff in our cars that we wouldn't want to disappear. If anyone out there has any ideas on how thieves are pulling this off, please let me know.
    Last edited by Donna_and_John; 06-05-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    http://www.crossedflags.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4_1.gif
    2001 Dark Bowling Green Metallic Coupe - 6-spd and mods (400 rwhp)
    2005 Aqua Blur SSR - 6-spd & LS2(Donna's hotrod), bone stock for now

My 02 Suburban was hit, last spring, locked & alarmed. Got Valentine 1 and expensive sunglasses, no sign of entry, left car unlocked. Car works fine no damage to alarm/locking.

Grrrr.
    2013 Zo6

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16,'17 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

Interesting... It's just like computer hackers really.

If police need to find out what it is and how it works, that won't stop it becuase how can it be stopped if the device has been cloned, or easily available? It seems like an unstoppable issue to me already. Got to bust one of these turds and ask them about it, but again, that won't stop it from happening more.
    Last edited by toolguy; 06-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

I'm beginning to think a dealership is involved in some way programming fobs.

This device gives thieves way too much credit.

That was my first thought as well. What is confusing though is that it is happening in multiple states and involves multiple car brands. Could multiple dealers be involved across state lines? Possible, but that would be a pretty coordinated effort for "common petty thieves" as well.

In one survelliance video the "device" is tried on two different cars first (one GM and one Ford), but it doesn't work. Then, they point it at a different car and presto, it works (two different cars, but same make). That makes it appear more like some sort of "master key" device.... or, some real good signal "hack." Both of which are scary as the newer encryption is supposed to make that not possible...
    http://www.crossedflags.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4_1.gif
    2001 Dark Bowling Green Metallic Coupe - 6-spd and mods (400 rwhp)
    2005 Aqua Blur SSR - 6-spd & LS2(Donna's hotrod), bone stock for now

Right.

It just baffels me, as I know you. I wonder if anyone will get to the bottom of this but if so, how to protect the millions of cars out there from devices like this?

Guess it's back to manual locks and a key to enter the car!

I live in a town that you do not have to lock your doors at night, but I do. One is because I do not trust anyone and all it takes is one time and two, because that is just a stupid rule to live by because crime does not stop.
    One of my cars sits outside when the Vette is out for the season and that car has a HomeLink garage door opener in the roof console. I do not have it programmed because as you know, once inside the car, someone can then also open my garage!

A friend ahd similar, only no HomeLink, but just a garage door and he left that cars doors unlocked. The teens opened the car and hit the garage door. All they ate was food from the fridge in the garage but an officer busted the kids a few houses down with the food. My friend called the police when he discovered the break in and the officer asked him what was taken? My friend said just food, the officer asked what and then tied the kids to his break in too.
    But what I thought was really funny was my friend was Mr. gun owner and dog owner, and both my friend and the dog slept through it all! And it was an attached garage! LOL!!!
    Last edited by toolguy; 06-06-2013 at 10:13 AM.

One of the problems is all of the connectivity in cars today. Bluetooth, wifi (in many cases), OnStar (or whatever other makers call it) etc etc, I even heard of some people getting connectivity via the TPS (tire pressure) system. This many connections, many using industry standards for communications, I could see a master box that could be carried around.
    2015 Stingray Z51 w/ Magnetic Ride Control & 8-speed Automatic

Right Rob. All this automotive technology is great, until technology is used against technology. Then what? This!

Oh and I do beleive the thieves always go to the passenger side of the vehicle is because of the things stored in the gloves boxes.
    Plus, smash and grab thieves, or in this case open door thieves, you do not want to actually get into the vehicle or have their feet leave the ground. That happens and it's harder as a bad guy to get out or away from someone trying to stop you.

This idea is similar and just as scary. Obviously it's for newer cars with this technology in them of course.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19754...-possible.html

Is there a way to pull a fuse on the remote system, say on a 2002 suburban? I could live with putting the key in the old girl?

2013 Zo6

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16,'17 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

HI there,

Frequency scanners are all the rage now. Even with rolling code technology, the recorders can still theorize what rolling codes occur and can transmit the similar frequency and make it work.

It actually not that complex and can be easily done.

This is why I tell my customers, use each fob, and switch off. The BCM in most new cars will predict the next sequence so that recorders and theory transmitters will not work.

Then again, I tell my customers also that when they can, use the key!

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

To be honest...I leave my car with the roof off open with the radar detector mounted behind the sun visor.

I just tend to hope the car is not stolen nor is the radar detector.

I've been lucky since owning the C6 as I tend to leave the roof off all summer long...

if someone wants a car bad enough...they can figure out even locked with the roof on...how to get it.

If mine goes...I guess...'ll have to buy a new Corvette!!!!

This car is an old piece of crap..first 2 minutes behind the wheel that's what I keep thinking and then about 5 minutes into driving this little sports car...it all comes back...this little car with all it's faults...

This silly little sports just makes me laugh out loud...the grin so big my cheeks actually hurt..

For the life of me..I don't know what exactly what it a gible quality it is...this car just makes the driver five minutes and for rest of the time puts a smile on the drivers face...

Glued on....

The cars barely got any structural righty...the interior is old....the acceleration pitiful but hot dam if isn't just a whole lot of fun...

First two minutes behind the wheel..I'm like wtf...it's such a pile of crap...but five minutes in....I'm loving this car...

Four hours in the corvette this morning with the sun rising at 530 am and the roof off was glorious..a true super car ...2 hours in a rental ford....and then 2 hours driving home in the miata...a slow boat from china ..

A rickety old two seater...but washed up she's a beauty and to drive it...just so much fun...

Doesn't make any sense that it should put such a smile on my face...

It's clearly not a performance car and I think the car still smells like the 67 year old guy who sold it to me..musty for sure...still it's allure is impressive...

Who knew I could be so impressed with a go cart of a car...

Well done mazda...

Glad I bought this little tonka toy....

Thread Information