Thread: DTC C1243 - Pump motor discontinued by GM

Default DTC C1243 - Pump motor discontinued by GM

I am fairly new vette owner. I am receiving error code C1243. My local chevy dealer tells me I need a new pump motor which happens to be discontinued by GM. How can such a thing be possible? I looked all over the web and come up empty. I can't find used unit or someone to repair the current unit. My car is C5 coupe,
    2000 in met.red and is beautiful. 55000 miles. I don't want to end up selling it. Does anyone know where I can find a unit? Also is there a way to complain to GM?
    thanks

HI there,

Yes, its possible. The fact that the car is 13 years old and they usually do not purchase more than a 10 year supply for cars from the parts maker makes sense.

Take a pic of your motor assembly and post it up, I may be able to find you a spare.

Allthebest, Paul
    GM World Class Certified Service Technician.
    Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/corvettemechanic
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/GMvettemechanic

Default Picture of my BPMV type M

Thanks Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wonder if these pumps can be rebuilt at all? EDIT: looks like some pumps can, some can't.

But yes, like Paul states, 10 year support for ANY vehicle is average/norm.

Be glad you do not have a C4! However C5's will eventually have more and more obsolete parts like C4 too.
    Last edited by toolguy; 05-30-2013 at 07:47 AM.

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

I decided to research this on the net since I too have a 98 pump and came across info that stated some pumps were brought back to life, simply by cycling the pump a few times. Seems since our cars sit while in storage and then when we drive them, the pump is not pumping, the pumps can get lazy to respond in some cases.

Some people have pulled the connector and applied 12 volts directly to the pump to cycle it. Others have had dealers use the Tech 2 and cycle the pumps.

I decided to test this info first have using my Tech2 and yes, you can cycle the pump solenoids and there is a specific pass/fail test for the pump you can pick and execute.

I was not having issues but I still wanted to cycle my pump. Not every dealer either knows of this, or wants to do this, so you have to ask for it probably in some cases. Although now that the older pumps are not sold, you would think a dealer would do this to try and make some money. I suppose one would if the car is brought to service and not the customer at the parts counter, where the parts person may not know about the pump test.
    Last edited by toolguy; 06-03-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betlojames View Post
    I am fairly new vette owner. I am receiving error code C1243. My local chevy dealer tells me I need a new pump motor which happens to be discontinued by GM. How can such a thing be possible? I looked all over the web and come up empty. I can't find used unit or someone to repair the current unit. My car is C5 coupe,
    2000 in met.red and is beautiful. 55000 miles. I don't want to end up selling it. Does anyone know where I can find a unit? Also is there a way to complain to GM?
    thanks
    I would try what I decibed in my post above. Although I do not know if since the pump is already not working, will it also not enter the test using the Tech2. In that case, I would go directly to the connector and attempt the "jump start" and see what happens. It might be worth a try before hunting down another pump.

If all else fails, I'd like to buy your old pump for breakdown and testing. Please let me know, thanks!

I have a 2000 coupe and it currently flashes the check Active Handling System and ABS light at startup. I checked the diagnstics and the codes listed include TCS c1243 H, U1096H, U1064H, and U1013H.

Any repair updates out there since this was posted in 2013. Thanks!!!

I have a 2000 coupe and have had the same problems, but I found a fix.

First thing I did was bleed the brakes and used GM brake fluid.
    The next thing I did which made the c1243 code go away was to disconnect the vehicle speed sensor connector at each wheel. I sprayed each connector with contact cleaner and then plugged it back in. I did all 4 wheels and everything has been working fine ever since, which was 3 years ago.

BTW - my c5 has 239,000 miles on it

Thread Information