Thread: Had a C5 for a year now…My Impressions

Default Had a C5 for a year now…My Impressions

This past Dec 6th was one year since I purchased a one owner 04 Torch Red Coupe with 53k on the clock.

I have owned 2 C3’s, 3 C4’s and by far the C5 is the best. Granted my car needed a few

“Personnel Touches” to get it where I want it but it wasn’t anything major. Everything that needed to be done I was able to do with the vast knowledge base on this and other forums. Lets see, new Wheels, TPMS’s, Tires, Battery, complete suspension rebuild, new rotors and brakes and a new Center Console bezel replacement. I had a small water leak on the passenger side that I was able to take care of. In the process I Insulated the interior while it was apart to find the leak. Shampooed the rugs too while they were out.

IMO all of these were “Wear and tear” items that have gotten tired over 7yrs and 53k miles. Next things to get done are the replacement of the Tensioners , Idler Pulleys and Belts. Over all I’m in love with this car and I always look forward to driving it. It’s an awesome machine and I definitely got the most bang for my buck !

Glad you are having fun with it!

And once you get all that other stuff done, it'll be fine for many more years. These engines can go 300,000 with no major issues! I wont be getting rid of mine because I won't be able to get another, probably ever.
    Last edited by toolguy; 08-21-2020 at 03:37 AM.

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

Lets see photos!

C5 corvettes are beautiful sports cars..

Not a huge fan of the C6 generation but the c5s are a great way to go..

How much?

Glad to hear you're enjoying your C5. We like ours, but we've had a few issues that kind of irritate me (GM should have done better). We've had our car for just over 11 years now and just hit 84k a couple of weeks ago.
    http://www.crossedflags.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4_1.gif
    2001 Dark Bowling Green Metallic Coupe - 6-spd and mods (400 rwhp)
    2005 Aqua Blur SSR - 6-spd & LS2(Donna's hotrod), bone stock for now

Nice work with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information which we all need, helpful iformation. I would like to thank you for the efforts you shown remarkble writing skill in this nice thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna_and_John View Post
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your C5. We like ours, but we've had a few issues that kind of irritate me (GM should have done better). We've had our car for just over 11 years now and just hit 84k a couple of weeks ago.
    Isn't it amazing...your car is 11 years old and just hit 84k miles..

Time flys but that beautiful Bowling Green Metallic coupe is still a beauty!

HOpe all is well my friend..

JB

C5 corvettes do look cool!

I've had this conversation often with my car-buddies. OFTEN.

You see, I bought a C4 Corvette (back in '92 when they were still current). I dropped a lot of coin on it. I was already working at an awesome job, making lots of money. I was 21 or 22 at the time. Very mechanically inclined also, and I (to this day) do most, if not all, of my own repairs.

And man, was it ever a lot of fun to have that car. I was quite the envy. Of all.

So- what do we, my car buddies and I, talk about?

That we would NOT have spent that kind of money, on that kind of a car, at that age. Boring as **** to say it, but I would have invested that money - not just the money for the car, but the insurance, maintenance, tires, tires, more tires… and used it to have a smaller mortgage down the road… at which point I would have bought a REALLY nice car.

You can get away with a a-to-b car, and a few short years down the road own your own home.

Quote Originally Posted by viewcart View Post

You see, I bought a C4 Corvette (back in '92 when they were still current). I dropped a lot of coin on it. I was already working at an awesome job, making lots of money. I was 21 or 22 at the time. Very mechanically inclined also, and I (to this day) do most, if not all, of my own repairs.

And man, was it ever a lot of fun to have that car. I was quite the envy. Of all.

That we would NOT have spent that kind of money, on that kind of a car, at that age. Boring as **** to say it, but I would have invested that money - not just the money for the car, but the insurance, maintenance, tires, tires, more tires… and used it to have a smaller mortgage down the road… at which point I would have bought a REALLY nice car.

You can get away with a a-to-b car, and a few short years down the road own your own home.
    Well at least you can say you did it once, while you were young and had fun!
    No harm, you just learned a lesson with it all.

1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by viewcart View Post

I believe there is always a balance to be found. Your story has great truth to it and for that I respect your moral. I would suggest at an early age a preowned corvette might have made more sense rather than new had other financial responsibilities were possibly not being met..(financial planning for the future etc)

You learned a good lesson and had a great life experience. That has tremendous value as well.

Thank you for sharing. In life we have all made less than perfect decisions on a variety of topics. Thats called life.

As long as we learn from them it wasnt that bad a decision ..

Smarter choices on a variety of subjects can be made in similar situations next time,

Fwiw Id say buying a preowned c5 or c6 for young people today is a great decision as a first sportscar that can also be reasonably priced.

Im still laughing how Im selling my fabulous 143k mile 2008 c6 z51 m6 for 11 grand when my c8 rolls in. I have the buyer lined up and he is patiently waiting for the delivery of my 60th birthday present to myself.

Sometimes we have to treat ourselves. Is it the smartest financial decision to buy any new car? Of course not. But every once in awhile logical or rational decisions are not the correct choice. Sometimes while still being responsible...just treating yourself is good too.

Good luck
    Last edited by JB; 08-24-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Thread Information