View Poll Results: supercharge your corvette??? Good idea or bad?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • No..the cars reliable and fast enough as is!

2 28.57%
  • Buy a Z06 or ZR1

2 28.57%
  • Yes...its a great reliable mod!

1 14.29%
  • Just wait for the C7!

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: to edelbrock supercharge that C6 or not? That is the question!!! Whats your opinion?

Default to edelbrock supercharge that C6 or not? That is the question!!! Whats your opinion?

The new edelbrock supercharger sure is a sweet package..offering up 550 or 599 flywheel hp..

Of course there are many fine variations of superchargers so list up your favorites..

Not looking for the most power but hopefully a sane package that offers close to OEM reliability and maintaince..

is it better to stay stock and wait for the C7! ???

Just shooting the breeze.

whats your opinion???

JB

Don't mess with a good thing. Leave the car as it rolled out of the factory with regards to the engine!

A "mild" supercharger kit will really wake-up your current ride JB. You can get significant gains, while still keeping the longevity of your current motor at a far lower pricetag than getting a new C7. That being said, if you really dig the C7 when it comes out, then maybe the cost differential doesn't mean as much

I prefer the centrifugal type superchargers (Vortech, ATI) myself. They offer more HP in a "safe" package than the screw-type blowers do.
    http://www.crossedflags.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4_1.gif
    2001 Dark Bowling Green Metallic Coupe - 6-spd and mods (400 rwhp)
    2005 Aqua Blur SSR - 6-spd & LS2(Donna's hotrod), bone stock for now

so you like this one

I hear they have a hell of a lot of issues from time to time with belts breaking..unless they are perfectly aligned..(every 2000 miles the oil for the supercharger needs attention too?

Where as this one...and again I could be totally wrong...this one has a closed oil system all to itself for 100k miles of service intervals..(for the supercharger?)

Am I totally wrong on this. I realize the first type of supercharger shown puts out more hp and tq....but thats not really a personal concern..

What do you think my friends???

Last edited by JBsC6; 12-12-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Yep, I prefer the first one. Any blower with misaligned brackets will cause belt issues. With good brackets and "mild" boost, belts are not an issue on the centrifugal type. I know of several running with no issues for many miles. Step up the boost to maximize potential and/or going for the best ET at the strip changes things. I've seen new belts come apart on the dyno with real high-boost cars (we're talking ones built to go below 10 seconds in the 1/4). Oiling systems and changes vary somewhat with supercharger brand. For example, Vortech offers blowers that feed from your engine oil as well as "sealed" units with their own oil reserve. Personally, I don't have a problem with changing the oil at some interval on the blower. You have to remember that the bearings in blowers are subjected to very high rpms and pretty high heat (up to 70,000 rpm and 400 degrees). I kind of like a more frequent oil change under those types of conditions.

I have a feeling your right...both systems or all the systems have their pluses and minuses..

I don't know know why but the stock hood is a plus on many of the newer systems...and the edlebrock is a clean package that I think would have the least troubles as the miles roll on..

Always tempting...especially after goin for a ride in a guys mint...2009 C6 automatic wtih 680hp in his edlebrock monster...I realize the hp of many cars are often times higher..but this 70 year old owner just wanted a little more fun with his corvette...wasn't racing it...and wanted minimal extra maintaince..

I beleive he acheived what he was looking for..

It was a fun ride..

I'll bet it was a fun ride

There are many things you can do to "wake up" the stock Vette. It all depends on what your goals are and what you want to do with the car. That will dictate the costs and longevity issues you may have. I can personally attest that a "simple" heads and cam swap can make an already fun car even more fun, for example. Forced induction makes a bigger difference from stock and there are many levels you can shoot for (fairly mild like your friend's to wild like a 9.85 second car).

As with anything related to cars, there is always some trade-off. If you really want "x," then you have to be prepared to live with "y."

Quote Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
    The new edelbrock supercharger sure is a sweet package..offering up 550 or 599 flywheel hp..

Of course there are many fine variations of superchargers so list up your favorites..

Not looking for the most power but hopefully a sane package that offers close to OEM reliability and maintaince..

is it better to stay stock and wait for the C7! ???

Just shooting the breeze.

whats your opinion???

JB

Do a google search on the LS9 and see what engine internals were redesigned, including lower compression ratio, for GM to sell a forced induction engine. Block, crank, rods, pistons and rings are all beefed up to cope with the added cylinder pressures. All vehicle manufacturers lower the compression ratio and beef up the internals before selling any forced induction engine as it is the only correct way to safely add higher cylinder pressures. Adding forced induction to a non-force induction enginered engine will always reduce it's durability, how much is dependant on it's use, maintenance, and set up, but it will always be less than not adding it all other variables being equal. This a big reason why dealers are very reluctant to sell aftermarket forced induction engine vehicles, and also that a lot of the forced induction packages will advertise "easy to remove" for resale reasons. Personally I would stay away from aftermarket forced induction, but for some owners it may be worth the risk. Enjoy your vehicle either way.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

thanks for the insights and the price of entry is not one of them...

Reliabilibiity and all the changes GM made to the ZR1 keep ringing in my ears..

zero to 60mph in 4 flat and a top speed of 190 will have to surfice! (SP)

Thanks

JB

190 mph top speed and you want to give up the OEM like reliability for what?

I think you made the right decision for yourself..

For those that have to have more.. more power to ya.

Don't be a pussy! Supercharge..hell turbo charge that bad boy and don't even bother with a waste gate on the turbo...

Just man up! (kidding of course)

Smart decision.

Thread Information