PDA

View Full Version : Sibling Rivalry: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport

Brownie
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Sibling Rivalry: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport

Chevrolet knows damn well how to build a sports car. Evidence: the Corvette. Ever since the mid-1950s, it has defined the very idea of what an American sports car is. Attempts to create a second Chevrolet sports car, however, have been met with less success. Excepting the Chevelle SS and a handful of Camaros -- and maybe the Corvair Monza if we're being generous -- it's been rare to find a performance Chevy as inspired as the Corvette. The 2010 revival of the Camaro raised our hopes, until its sloppy handling and performance-numbing obesity torpedoed our expectations. The 2012 Camaro ZL1 changes all of that with huge power, sophisticated technology, and exceptional handling.

As the Camaro to redeem all other Camaros and a car that can run against Chevy's icon, the ZL1 sets the stage for the most dramatic sibling smackdown since my sister dropped a log on my four-year-old head. The Chevrolet marketing folks are adamant that no one will cross-shop a Corvette and a Camaro, and that may be true. Problem is, someone dropped a log on my head as a child, so I can't help but draw imaginary parallels between two bow-tie sports cars with mid-$50,000 prices and four-second 0-to-60-mph times. When Chevrolet invited us to drive the Camaro ZL1 for the first time, we showed up with a pair of driving shoes, our Vbox test equipment, and a Corvette Grand Sport

JBsC6
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
So whats the technical question???????

Which car is better?????

We need a general corvette section for discussions like this.

Great post. Thanks for bringing it to the forum.

Both great cars....

Sexy low sleek corvette gets my vote but I'm of course biased. Both excellent cars.

steveb01z06
01-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Is this the first installment or was there supposed to be a link to another site?

JBsC6
01-21-2012, 11:56 AM
www.automobilemag.com has the story. Its a nice article about GM's performance cars...

JBsC6
01-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Here is the direct link to the camaro ZL1 vs Corvette article.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1203_2012_chevrolet_camaro_zl1_and_2012_chevrolet_ corvette_grand_sport/index.html

Silver
01-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Still prefer the vette..