PDA

View Full Version : Of you GM vehicles ...how many have onstar activated?

JB
12-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I have two GM vehicles..and I only have one vehicle with the onstar activated. I just let the other lapse..

Believe it or not...I have onstar on the vette and off on the CTS...

Not sure I ever use it on either to be worth the cost of keeping it active...so sooner or later they both may go dormant.. (when the present contract expires)

How about you? Do you keep it past the "free period"?

Kat
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
3 out of 4 here. But, Casper has lost everything for Land Speed Racing.

I keep OnStar for door unlocks :o and because doesn't carry his cell phone most times.

I don't count on for vehicle recovery any longer. When our red truck was stolen OnStar was useless.

Donna_and_John
12-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I had to answer "none" on this one as we don't have any OnStar equipped vehicles. The truck and Fiero are too old for it and it wasn't offerred in our Vette or the SSR. I do like some of the features/benefits of it. Donna and I have talked about having it in our next new car. However, if we go with a police package vehicle (like the Caprice), then we won't have it....

Kat -
Did the thieves disable OnStar in your red truck?

Kat
12-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Kat -
Did the thieves disable OnStar in your red truck?

Yes, they cut the battery cable and broke off the OnStar/XM antenna. We found out after the fact it was taken at 3:20 am and by the time I had the police report # to report it to OnStar at 8 am it had been disabled.

Lesson learned. Don't have a mobile car wash guy come to your house and wash multiple vehicles without accounting for all your sets of keys before they leave :mad: What sucks is I drive by the guys house every night on my way home. Just can't prove it was him or his helper.

Now I have them washed at the shop and don't even have the keys in them.

Donna_and_John
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Don't have a mobile car wash guy come to your house and wash multiple vehicles without accounting for all your sets of keys before they leave :mad: What sucks is I drive by the guys house every night on my way home. Just can't prove it was him or his helper.

Damn... that sucks. I don't get why some folks have to be such %*&%holes like this.

Silver
12-19-2011, 04:36 AM
not a huge fan of onstar...

I don't like the idea of being tracked..

Brownie
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Does anybody really keep onstar after the free year?

doingMach1
06-24-2012, 07:46 AM
I kept it after the free period. I use it mostly for the navigation. Not so much for directions, but to find things around me. I call them up and say "I'm in the mood for pizza", and they find me a pizza place!

I had a small accident in the vette....it was definitely helpful to have them send a tow truck. Since I called from the car, it was very simple to get the tow truck to me, etc....

As far as being tracked, hell with it....I have nothing to hide....let them get their joys watching me go to the grocery store, and work and back.. :)

Brownie
06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Good to hear onstar's serves you well.

Vette346x
06-25-2012, 04:12 AM
I only have on star on my Vette. It's not my daily driver and in the age of cell phones and gps navigation I can't justify it. Even if it was my daily driver, I don't think I would use it enough to justify it.

doingMach1
06-25-2012, 05:23 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm having trouble justifying it myself. But once in a while, I find a use for it, and it delays my common sense! :)

Blue260
05-25-2013, 10:38 PM
I voted none, as I currently dropped OnStar 2 months ago having it from 08 to 3/13. If the voice recognition worked better I would still have it. However, to save myself from insanity I had to get rid of it before I became a blabbering idiot. Those who used the phone system know exactly what I'm talking about.

JB
05-26-2013, 09:11 AM
I voted none, as I currently dropped OnStar 2 months ago having it from 08 to 3/13. If the voice recognition worked better I would still have it. However, to save myself from insanity I had to get rid of it before I became a blabbering idiot. Those who used the phone system know exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the laughs ....I had to get rid of it as well....

It drove me nuts as well....It was like the old Abott and Costello bit...of who's on first...

The voice recognition was so bad....I just could not stand it.

I'm sure its just the corvette was too loud but still....

The pricing they came back with after I cancelled it was so good....but it just didn't matter...I could not have it in my car.

Hopefully future development will be better....

Cue etc..