PDA

View Full Version : GM's Powertrain Chief Resigns After 28 Years

JBsC6
03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
GM's Powertrain Chief Resigns After 28 Years
Detroit Free Press
March 2, 2011
by Chrissie Thompson

General Motors' powertrain chief has resigned, kicking off the latest change in GM's product-development management.

Jamie Hresko, 47, stepped down Monday "to pursue other opportunities" after 28 years at GM, spokeswoman Katie McBride said Tuesday. GM has yet to name his successor.

Hresko's departure comes about a month after CEO Dan Akerson took the product-development organization from powertrain engineer Tom Stephens and put most of it under Mary Barra, a manufacturing engineer. Stephens, a GM vice chairman, became chief technology officer and retained responsibilities for research and development. But Hresko's resignation was his decision and not part of a management shakeup, a person familiar with the situation said.

Hresko spent much of his GM career working in manufacturing, including a stint managing the Orion Township plant. He became head of North American quality in 2006 and took over global quality in 2008. He had led global powertrain since June, when a GM shakeup reassigned dozens of product-development executives.

GM has endured two years of high-profile management changes, starting with the U.S. Treasury's decision to oust CEO Rick Wagoner ahead of the automaker's 2009 bankruptcy. U.S. sales and marketing has seen several leadership changes, and Akerson is GM's fourth CEO since Wagoner

Silver
03-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Ackerson is probably such a dic ....Hrecko. Told him to take this job and shove it.

Either that or GM's new v8 has a design flaw and ackerson said build it anyway!

Screwing GM's customers in the process yet again

XURSIX
03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
With our gustapo government involved with GM nothing surprises me.:rofl:

JBsC6
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Xursix! You nailed it my friend.

BTW....Beautiful vette in your signature!

Poltergeist
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
I wonder what kind of an impact this will have on the next get power plant(s)?

JBsC6
03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
scarey to think he left because he didn't get his way in proper engine development.

Donna_and_John
03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
This doesn't sound good on paper at all. This could be a huge detriment to GM's engines. Manufacturing Engineers don't necessarily have the knowledge about how the products they oversee actually work. Their focus is on streamlining the process and cutting production costs to increase profit margin. Yes, they are necessary to help control costs, but can cause problems if they can make all the decisions about a prodcut.

I'm reminded of a story about an auger system built by a rather famous agricultural machinery company. The designer of the system specified sealed bearings for the auger assembly. The Manufacturing Engineer changed the design to greaseable bearings, because they were cheaper (increased profit margin). Fortunately, the products didn't go right out the door. They manufactured some units right off the line and put them into service as part of the validation process.

When the designer went out to the site to check on "his design" in a real world application, he blew a gasket when he saw all the greaseable bearings. He raised hell with the big bosses and demanded an explanation. The bosses (also made a good move here) sent the Manufacturing Engineer out to the site to see the finished product and explain to the designer why he changed the bearings.

When the guy showed up, the desginer handed him a grease gun and said, "Here, go grease those bearings, since you thought it was such a good idea." The Manufacturing Engineer got the message after he had greased about 87 of the 123 bearings in the assembly. The final prodcut was changed back to sealed bearings.

But, just think how bad things could have been for that company, if they didn't have the "check & balance" they did, or if they had blown off the designer. They would have lost a lot of customers in the process.

That's why this moves gives me some cause for concern....

JBsC6
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
John,

Can't thank you enough for the interesting perspective. Holly crap is all I kept saying as I read your insightful post.

Hope all is well and thanks!!!

JB

Silver
03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
See ya!