Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Battery suppliers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Wink Battery suppliers

    Looking for another battery for my C3! How are the dealer prices compared to the pecker boys etc. Also it must be AC Delco

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Dealer prices will probably be higher. Make sure you check the born on date on any battery you purchase (ideally with in 1-2 months) and then have it load tested with a carbon pile load tester before buying, new batteries are not always good.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

    1998 black 6 spd convertible

  3. #3

    Default

    The delco how do you read birth dates. And a load test ,i have a tool that test but it sucks the life right out of the battery!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    The delco how do you read birth dates. And a load test ,i have a tool that test but it sucks the life right out of the battery!

    The born on date is stamped onto the case of the battery, it will give the month and year it was made. Sometimes it's in a code and you have to decipher it depending on the manufacturer, but it's not hard to do, the seller should be able to do it.

    What kind of load tester do you have? If it pulls a lot of amps out of the battery, then it must be a good one. First start with a fully charged battery (fully charged does not mean that the battery is good, only that it is ready to be tested.) You want to pull 1/2 the CCA out of the battery for 15 seconds without the voltage going below 9.6V, so on a 600 CCA battery you would pull 300A out for 15 seconds. I let the carbon pile cool down and do it twice. And yes fully charging the battery afterwards is a very good idea. If the battery is fully charged and the test sucks all the life out of the battery, then it is bad.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

    1998 black 6 spd convertible

  5. #5

    Default Battery Tester

    Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    The born on date is stamped onto the case of the battery, it will give the month and year it was made. Sometimes it's in a code and you have to decipher it depending on the manufacturer, but it's not hard to do, the seller should be able to do it.

    What kind of load tester do you have? If it pulls a lot of amps out of the battery, then it must be a good one. First start with a fully charged battery (fully charged does not mean that the battery is good, only that it is ready to be tested.) You want to pull 1/2 the CCA out of the battery for 15 seconds without the voltage going below 9.6V, so on a 600 CCA battery you would pull 300A out for 15 seconds. I let the carbon pile cool down and do it twice. And yes fully charging the battery afterwards is a very good idea. If the battery is fully charged and the test sucks all the life out of the battery, then it is bad.
    I have a 100 amp load tester which really warms the battery case. I did find in a old vette magazine a chart you can use to test the voltage and if its below 75% charge after you load it then it needs replacing. I will post this article and if you have a volt meter and set it on DC volts you can determine if it will crank the car . Also it is always a good to set your charger at two amps for twenty four hours and then let the battery sit for a couple of days then load check it. A idle battery with out running the car does not give the battery extended life if you just float charge it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    I have a 100 amp load tester which really warms the battery case. I did find in a old vette magazine a chart you can use to test the voltage and if its below 75% charge after you load it then it needs replacing. I will post this article and if you have a volt meter and set it on DC volts you can determine if it will crank the car . Also it is always a good to set your charger at two amps for twenty four hours and then let the battery sit for a couple of days then load check it. A idle battery with out running the car does not give the battery extended life if you just float charge it.

    Not always true, if you leave a 2 amp charger on a battery for multiple days you can over charge and damage the battery, which not only harms the battery but is dangerous. Never leave a non "maintained" battery charger unattended. 12.6V or above is all you need to see on a battery to begin a proper load test. Your 100A load tester is not enough to properly test a battery, you need to be able to pull 250-400A (or more) on some batteries, remember it is 1/2 the CCA rating of the battery and most quality batteries are 500-800 CCA rating. A battery maintainer will keep a battery fully charged and does indeed extend the life of a battery that sits for long periods of time without use. A discharged battery will start to internally sulfate in a matter of weeks or months, and once the process has started the battery is compromised.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

    1998 black 6 spd convertible

  7. #7

    Default

    Did the 1993 corvette come with a vented battery? No tubes but one vent on each side.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •