Thread: flat on a run-flat tire

Default flat on a run-flat tire

Got a gash in 'road surface' tread on a rear run-flat tire on 2013 Grand Sport. Drove slowly about 12 miles to get home. Place where I want to get all 4 tires replaced is about 20 miles away. It appears the 'run flat' portion of the tire is holding the rim off the ground in an adequate manner, BUT when I drive there is a 'flopping' kind of noise coming from the tire area. Couple of questions: 1. how long will the 'run flat' portion of the tire keep the car 'up'-is it a solid compound that won't go 'flatter'? 2. should the 'run-flat' portion of tire allow me to drive at about 30mph for the 20 miles I need to travel (I'm not worried about ruining the tire as it is already toast) just don't want to ruin the wheel; and 3. I'm looking at replacing all 4 tires with Michelin run flats & probably all 4 WHEELS as the current ones were NOT the 2013 50th anniversary type instead had been switched before I bought car, so what places should I look for a decent deal on new wheels that won't break by bank?

Most run flats will go at least 50 miles with no air in them at up to 50 mph.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

If the tire is tearing apart it's not the wheel you need to worry about when driving. The tire can come apart and start hitting the bodywork or get wrapped in the axle or brakes.

Personally, I'd jack up the car, take the wheel(s) off and take them separately to the tire place. If you can't, I'd flatbed the car to the place.

Thread Information