Thread: overheating or electrical issue?

Default overheating or electrical issue?

i got in my car today and didn't go a mile before a message on the dic said essentially ac was shut off because the engine is hot. i turned around and went back home. opened the hood and checked the coolant which was full. the radiator is only a few months old. the temp gauge did not register any temp at all and fans were on full blast. could it be a thermostat issue? perhaps a sending unit has gone belly up confusing the computer? it has been 100+ degrees for several days here but the car was only driven about 12 miles all day. the car is an 08 z51 coupe with 71k miles. any Ideas? don't have a code reader. before i tow it to a dealer and spend $150 just to get codes read by the dealer, thought I would ask here first.

You might be able to borrow a code reader from Autozone. They used to have a free loan program.
    2015 Stingray Z51 w/ Magnetic Ride Control & 8-speed Automatic

O'Reilly's Auto Parts will read the codes for you and give you a printed list w/description. My local Auto Zone will also do that for me.

A faulty sending unit may be the issue. Let us know what you find out.

Dennis "Fix" Fixsen dba FixVet Detailing Services, Clever, MO
    1998 Black over Torch Red Coupe, A4, F45, 3.15 rear, HP Tune, CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 TI Catbacks, drilled/slotted rotors....VFW Life Member, VN Vet 70-71, 4thINF & 101stABN

Go to the nearest Chevrolet dealer. Stay with the car and get it fix properly! There is a lot of i know how to fix and do not !

Thread Information