Thread: Seat Time in a New ZO6

Default Seat Time in a New ZO6

OK.....I have gotten some seat time in different Stingrays over the past few years. I have enjoyed each driving experience. I am particularly excited about the Grand Sport. So much so, I've been working on a way go get into one. Due to various things, the earliest this would likely happen is a 2018 model...but I digress....

Fast forward to now. I recently changed jobs. One of my new coworkers has a new ZO6. She drove it to work last week. Of course I had to go out to the parking lot to look at it. Well...drool over it may be a better description.... Imagine my surprise when she handed me the fob and said: "Take it for a spin." She didn't have to twist my arm too much....

All I can say is: OMG

As good as the Stingray is, this car is noticeably better. You can just feel it. The extra power.....well, that can get you into all kinds of trouble with the boys in blue very easily. I mean, I expected some difference between the two, that is only logical. I was blown away by how much difference. This feels like a completely different car. One just begging you to hit the gas and start carving corners. Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" instantly comes to mind.

Dammit.....now I guess I need to look for a used ZO6 in my price range....
    http://www.crossedflags.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4_1.gif
    2001 Dark Bowling Green Metallic Coupe - 6-spd and mods (400 rwhp)
    2005 Aqua Blur SSR - 6-spd & LS2(Donna's hotrod), bone stock for now

Smart move with the c7 z06...if your dropping the coin...and you don't mind preowned ...the 650 hp would make you smile John...

The 460 hp stingray is a road rocket for sure..both are awesome choices....but what the hell..

I don't think I'd go for the grandsport...myself...I think if I were spending the money? I'd probably go for the most ridiculous amount of hp stock GM is offering In The corvette...

If for nothing else because we are all insane gearheads...and I'm getting older...lol

What the ****...

The first fifty for making the money...the second fifty for spending it!

Have fun shopping John..

Any preference on colors?

Coupe or convertible?

Manual or automatic?

What are your preferences ..

Btw congrats on the new career move...

Initially we had wanted the Black Rose Metallic. Now that it's been discontinted and we're looking at a used one, we may have to consider other colors. The red metallic is also a great color and was #2 on our list.

I'm afraid I will always be a purist at heart JB....manual transmission for me.

I still keep crunching numbers....I can get into a new Grand Sport then supercharge it after the warranty runs out and essentially get the same performance as the Z for less $$$ than most of the used Z's I've looked at so far....

The Grand Sport is a great Corvette. They look the best when they are Torch Red.
    2015 Stingray Z51 w/ Magnetic Ride Control & 8-speed Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Donna_and_John View Post
    Initially we had wanted the Black Rose Metallic. Now that it's been discontinted and we're looking at a used one, we may have to consider other colors. The red metallic is also a great color and was #2 on our list.

I'm afraid I will always be a purist at heart JB....manual transmission for me.

I still keep crunching numbers....I can get into a new Grand Sport then supercharge it after the warranty runs out and essentially get the same performance as the Z for less $$$ than most of the used Z's I've looked at so far....

Keep a thought in mind though, in the Grand Sport you would be supercharging an engine that wasn't specifically designed for one. Yes you can do it and maybe have no problems, but the factory OEM's design a specific engine just for forced induction for a reason. Plus you really don't need forced induction, these vehicles are stupid fast for street driving as is.

Good choice on the manual transmission, the drivers choice.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Keep a thought in mind though, in the Grand Sport you would be supercharging an engine that wasn't specifically designed for one. Yes you can do it and maybe have no problems, but the factory OEM's design a specific engine just for forced induction for a reason. Plus you really don't need forced induction, these vehicles are stupid fast for street driving as is.

Good choice on the manual transmission, the drivers choice.
    Agree.

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Keep a thought in mind though, in the Grand Sport you would be supercharging an engine that wasn't specifically designed for one. Yes you can do it and maybe have no problems, but the factory OEM's design a specific engine just for forced induction for a reason.
    True. I wouldn't got that route without swapping in some forged internals.

I'm also afraid I suffer from the TimAllen gene:
    "If it ain't broke.....I can still fix it"
    "You know what that needs?? MORE POWER"

I just can't help it. Not to mention, our C5 is running close to 400 hp at the wheels. If I'm going to upgrade, I want to upgrade

The new Z06's are a blast to drive, as is any new corvette, we sold the 16' and got a 17', because dealer offered over 20k off, and the hellcat wanted something silver in the garage. JB how have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    The new Z06's are a blast to drive, as is any new corvette, we sold the 16' and got a 17', because dealer offered over 20k off, and the hellcat wanted something silver in the garage. JB how have you been?

I've driven the Hellcat, pretty awesome.

Haven't driven the Demon yet though, their pretty rare.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Thread Information