Thread: Maintenance on 87 Corvette

Default Maintenance on 87 Corvette

I just took ownership of my fathers 1987 Corvette. He finally felt it was time for me to take over. Now he did not use the car very much. Would it be a good idea to swap out all the fluids and filters. Along with replacing the spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil. The car does not have any codes but does seem hard to start. I was also going to get a timing light just so I could check it. I saw that the transmission took dexron 2 so what type of fluid should I use now because I don't think that is made anymore. Trans was serviced back in 99 and only 20000 miles have been put on it and now it has 74200. Spark plugs cap and rotor was done in 2006. Just want to get the car ready so I can drive it at least twice a week and I want to take it to Carlisle this year.

I would do all the fluids and filters along with the tune up parts using AC Delco parts, so that you have a base line to draw off of for future maintenance.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Since you know the history of the car (as compared to buying from a stranger or a lot) I IIWM I'd use the GM recommended intervals and figure out what is ready to be done and what can wait. As you drive it more than your dad (I assume) you will likely find a few things that need doing. I would check the mfg date on the tires, however. I just shocked myself to learn that the Michelin LTX's on my Suburban are 10 years old. I only drive it about 5k a year so there is good tread left, but...
    2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

Quote Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
    Since you know the history of the car (as compared to buying from a stranger or a lot) I IIWM I'd use the GM recommended intervals and figure out what is ready to be done and what can wait. As you drive it more than your dad (I assume) you will likely find a few things that need doing. I would check the mfg date on the tires, however. I just shocked myself to learn that the Michelin LTX's on my Suburban are 10 years old. I only drive it about 5k a year so there is good tread left, but...

You could do that it way, but the latest maintenance he stated was in 2006, 11 years ago, if it were me I would just do them. Truthfully, I do not follow the manufacturers recommendations either as they usually state it is lifetime fluid or the interval is way too long. If the manufacturer does actually recommend a fluid change, then I usually do it in about 1/2 the interval. No flame Froggy, just MHO and how I do it.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    You could do that it way, but the latest maintenance he stated was in 2006, 11 years ago, if it were me I would just do them. Truthfully, I do not follow the manufacturers recommendations either as they usually state it is lifetime fluid or the interval is way too long. If the manufacturer does actually recommend a fluid change, then I usually do it in about 1/2 the interval. No flame Froggy, just MHO and how I do it.
    That's cool, I actually missed that it's been so long for many/all of the services, ouch. A fresh slate would be in order.

He put new tires on it back in 06 the tread is good but in the valley and around the tread blocks are all cracked looks like they have dry rotted from lack of use. I will have new tires on it Friday and while that's getting done they are going to look the whole car over and give me an idea of what else has to be done. All the fluids will be switched along with a tune up and after that I will just take it as it comes.

Have they look at the flexible end of the brake lines.

When we were having trouble with the brakes last summer I pulled the 30 year old factory rubber lines and put brand new stainless steel lines on. Turned out that the reason the right front caliper locked up was a bad abs pump. My dad had that fixed and all is well with the brakes. I will have the brakes bled just for a precaution.

Good.

Thread Information