Thread: Old Mechanic New to Corvette.

Default Old Mechanic New to Corvette.

Hello from SW Louisiana. 73 yr old retired oil field mechanic guy and needed to give bikes a break after being on them for over 400,000 miles all over North America. Sport touring and Dual Sport so not into the cruiser and big touring crowd. Had to back off the bikes after a wreck missing a deer a few years back in W Texas. Missed the deer but hit a bunch of big rocks on the side of a mountain that ended that trip.
    Decided to buy a less than Fair 97 Coupe about 4 months and and what a lesson it's been. Spark plugs, wire repaired and vacuum line repaired by a good friend and is the local Vette mechanic. Then my turn with MAF, MAP, Ox Sensors chaseing a Service Engine Soon and bad running till light came on. Ox Sensors did it. Then came windshield wiper motor as could not get just the circuit board anywhere. Then the horns and switched behind the air bag. Then a sagging inter door drivers side. The the almost, unreadable Instrument Panel. Then the loose covers on the passenger door and center compatments. Getting a spare tire and building a 3/4 to 13/16th adapter to change the tire out if have a flat.
    Been fun though as it kept me busy and in the learn mode for the last 4 months. A few more things I'm not fixing as cruise control blowing the fuse and passenger key door lock not hooked up.
    So it's been a trip with the 95 and first Vetter and all the forums and chat groups that helped me along. Plans are to see this C4 next month and move on to a C5. Thanks for adding me to the group.

Keep it as much factory as you can and you will love it. Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome to the site. Sounds like it has been an adventure for you so far.
    2015 Stingray Z51 w/ Magnetic Ride Control & 8-speed Automatic

welcome
    http://www.crossedflags.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4_1.gif
    2001 Dark Bowling Green Metallic Coupe - 6-spd and mods (400 rwhp)
    2005 Aqua Blur SSR - 6-spd & LS2(Donna's hotrod), bone stock for now

Welcome to the forum!

Hi

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

Welcome to Corvette ownership and to the forum.
    It may take some time to get the Vette in the condition you want but it's all well worth it.

Update! Started off 2017 with a BANG! Triple Bypass heart surgery at the end of January put a serious slowdown on what I wanted to do Vette wise. Passed the stress threadmill with flying colors but the nuke dye test said different. Sigh!
    Middle March and the water pump went soaking the sparks for sure. Since still in the recovery stage and watchful wife, had it towed to a local Vette mechanic whom is a good friend for waterpump and opta change out. While at the shop, sold it for my cost. No more C4. ;-)
    Then found an '03 Couple in the colors I wanted just about 40 miles from me and bought it after a good inspection on what I learned from 9 months with the '95 C4. Only things changed so far in the '03 is Airbag/horn assy due to something put on that made it sticky and neither I or the detail shops could get it gone so replaced it. Then had to change out the hi press powersteering hose. Just loving this car big big over the C4.

Congrats on the new purchase!
    2015 Stingray Z51 w/ Magnetic Ride Control & 8-speed Automatic

Congrats on the '03 C5...you'll love it. I still love my '98 coupe w/ 98K on the clock after 13 yrs.

Fix

Dennis "Fix" Fixsen dba FixVet Detailing Services, Clever, MO
    1998 Black over Torch Red Coupe, A4, F45, 3.15 rear, HP Tune, CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 TI Catbacks, drilled/slotted rotors....VFW Life Member, VN Vet 70-71, 4thINF & 101stABN

Thread Information