Thread: Mechanic Titles

Default Mechanic Titles

At the dealer level can you explain the difference between the ASE certified , GM certified and a Corvette Mechanic vs a Corvette Master mechanic ?

I am not a GM tech, but I may be able to help a little. Paul would know for sure.

ASE is not dealer anything, it is just a nation wide generic testing program that has study guides and then you take a test at a designated center, usually a community college at night. No hands on training, just study guide (if needed) and test.

GM Certified (or any manufacturer) used to mean that you have gone to a Factory training center and were taught hands on and book trained at the same time, and tested at the end. Now a lot of it is online to save money and also expedite information. Keep in mind that you can be factory certified in certain areas of the vehicle, and not in others, Master Tech's are usually certified in all areas. This is the best training for your vehicle.

Corvette mechanic vs Corvette Master Mechanic should be the difference between some/partial Corvette training and full Corvette training. Paul (c4c5) would be more knowledgeable on this subject as he is a fully certified (World Class, I believe) GM tech.
    Last edited by LLC5; 09-25-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Good post.

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

I ask because i have a friend that is a Team Lead at a GMC dealer. He works on Vettes there as well. He has had and constantly goes to GM training.
    What is the benefit to me taking my car to Chevrolet vs GMC for services like Brake job , HVAC replacement,Emergency brake replacement and PROPER REAR BRAKELINE ROUTING ? ( On the brakeline CARMAX or a different Chevy dealer had to replace a rear axle seal and did not route the brakelines correctly SIX YEARS AGO and now a hole has been rubbed in it.) My warranty is covering the HVAC (waiting 3 weeks now(FOR THE PART TO COME BACK) and the emergency brake. I will pay 600 bucks to properly fix and correctly route the rear brakeline.
    Last edited by Z0_RICK; 10-02-2016 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0_RICK View Post
    I ask because i have a friend that is a Team Lead at a GMC dealer. He works on Vettes there as well. He has had and constantly goes to GM training.
    What is the benefit to me taking my car to Chevrolet vs GMC for services like Brake job , HVAC replacement,Emergency brake replacement and PROPER REAR BRAKELINE ROUTING ? ( On the brakeline CARMAX or a different Chevy dealer had to replace a rear axle seal and did not route the brakelines correctly SIX YEARS AGO and now a hole has been rubbed in it.) My warranty is covering the HVAC waiting 3 weeks now and the emergency brake. 600 bucks to properly fix and correctly route the rear brakeline.

The only benefit to a Chevy vs GMC dealership would be the technician doing the work (which is way more important then choosing a dealership or repair facility). Both are GM and have the same technical support.

So if i understand this a GM Mechanic at a GMC dealer is the same as a Corvette Mechanic at a Chevrolet dealership ?
    The reason i ask is that i thought there was a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0_RICK View Post
    So if i understand this a GM Mechanic at a GMC dealer is the same as a Corvette Mechanic at a Chevrolet dealership ?
    The reason i ask is that i thought there was a difference.

No, not necessarily, it is the tech's qualification/certification that you would be looking for. A GMC dealer could have hired a GM certified Corvette mechanic. A GM certified Corvette mechanic may only be certified in certain areas of Corvette (engine, transmission, electrical, a/c, etc), so you need to know which areas of certification the tech has, or is he/she a master tech and is certified in all areas?

Thread Information