Thread: Airbag warning light stays on

Default Airbag warning light stays on

Hi, y'all:

My 98 daily driver's horn went off in the garage one night a couple of months ago, after disconnecting the battery, I went on line and learned the horn membrane under the airbag in the steering wheel was the probable culprit, so I ordered a replacement on line, and replaced it, no problem, except the warning light stayed on. I've been driving it, but now is the time to see if I can resolve this issue.

Checking the computer codes, the only current code is C1286, Steering sensor bias malfunction. Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi, again,

So it's been 8 days, and nobody has replied with any thoughts about my airbag light problem. Is this a unique problem? Any/all ideas welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ronklewin View Post
    Hi, again,

So it's been 8 days, and nobody has replied with any thoughts about my airbag light problem. Is this a unique problem? Any/all ideas welcome.
    Seems unrelated but might not be. Any chance you disturbed other wiring during the job?

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

No, I think the install was pretty simple, I don't remember any issues. Any idea what a steering sensor bias malfunction is??

Here is a link:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...lfunction.html

Bottom line seems steering wheel got "off center" somehow.

2004 Z06/Z16 Stock motor, very modified suspension

1996 Black/gray LT4 Coupe (sold)

2007 328i (traded), 2004 IS300, 1995 M3 (sold), Chevy & Ford & Lexus SUV's.

'06,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'16 SCCA Regional Solo Champion

Visit my DIY video channel for tips. Click below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

The air bag light should not be related to your steering angle sensor code since the steering angle sensor is at the bottom of the steering column. Did you take the steering column out of the vehicle?

If the air bag light came on right after the horn pad membrane install, then the two items to check are the plug in at the air bag module and the cable reel (or clock spring if you prefer, but it is actually a cable reel as there is no real spring but does need to be clocked correctly). Be very careful working around hand grenades (the air bag module), making sure to disconnect the battery negative cable and discharge the capacitors by waiting at least 20 minutes after disconnecting or jumping the disconnected ground cable (that is unhooked at the battery post) to the still installed positive cable momentarily.
    Last edited by LLC5; 08-30-2016 at 06:29 AM.
    20+ years ASE and Honda Master Tech

1998 black 6 spd convertible

Default Airbag warning light

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    The air bag light should not be related to your steering angle sensor code since the steering angle sensor is at the bottom of the steering column. Did you take the steering column out of the vehicle?

If the air bag light came on right after the horn pad membrane install, then the two items to check are the plug in at the air bag module and the cable reel (or clock spring if you prefer, but it is actually a cable reel as there is no real spring but does need to be clocked correctly). Be very careful working around hand grenades (the air bag module), making sure to disconnect the battery negative cable and discharge the condensers by waiting at least 20 minutes after disconnecting or jumping the disconnected ground cable (that is unhooked at the battery post) to the still installed positive cable momentarily.
    No, I have never removed the steering column. No idea what caused that.

I will check the plug in at the air bag module and cable reel, and I have the utmost respect for any and all hand grenades. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back.

OK, sorry about the 9 month delay, not able to work on my vette due to back and knee issues, but I finally got back to it. I was also doing Bill Curlee's ignition switch repair, and the column lock mod LM-5(?) at the same time, the switch repair and column lock mods were successful, not so lucky with the air bag light. Since there has been such a time lag, I was focused on the connections at the air bag, so I re-checked the air bag module plug, it was very tight, solid connection. I had forgotten about you suggesting the cable reel as a potential culprit. Reassembled, light is still on.

Several short trips later, my codes are: 28-TCS, C1243H, C1255H, C1281H, C1288H.

Not sure what or where the cable reel is, any direction you can give me is appreciated.
    Last edited by ronklewin; 05-06-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Hi, again,

So it's been 7 days, and nobody has replied with any thoughts about my airbag light problem. I am hoping for some direction regarding the cable reel troubleshoot issue, or any other suggestions.

Thread Information